Monday, December 23, 2013

Fashion Find…let a Personal Shopper do the leg work

Everyone needs a personal shopper.  Yes, everyone.  I'm not necessarily talking about the official, professional, personal shopper offered by many high end department stores.  My best experience with a "personal shopper" is someone who is not even a personal shopper at all.  Rather someone I randomly meet in the store, and our styles click immediately and he/she understands, and most importantly respects, my price points (for instance, I will not hesitate to drop a lot of money on some Louboutins, but rarely will you see me spend $100 for a shirt).

Finding the perfect personal shopper is difficult!  You want someone who knows the merchandise but is not pushy.  Someone who remembers what you have purchased in the past so you can build upon pieces and not simply recreate new outfits every, single, time.  And someone who is interested in you and your lifestyle but can push you out of your comfort zone a little.  The best shopper is someone who is not just trying to get the one-time commission on the $1200 Moncler jacket that just isn't you; but someone who realizes a commission off today's $59 skirt is just the beginning of a long relationship.

Once you find that perfect shopper, get ready to enjoy some benefits.  Here are some examples of the service and benefits I have received:
  1. You know those designer sales that happen once in a blue moon?  My shopper will pull aside items he knows I will like the exact moment the sale starts; before everything is picked over.  He'll send me photos of the items and if I'm interested, he will hold them for me.
  2. I can send in photos of clothing I like, and along with giving his opinion, he will tell me if it's located in-store and if not, he overnights it to me without charge.
  3. Those shoes you're dying to have, like now, a good shopper will tell you to hold off until next week when they'll be 40% off.  A great shopper will hold them for you.
  4. Find a personal shopper for makeup.  The amount of samples you will accumulate will help you to determine what really works for your skin.  Or give you just enough La Mer eye cream to hold you over until that next pay check.
I have "shoppers" in many stores and various departments within the same store.  For instance, at Nordstrom, I have someone in shoes, someone in clothing and someone in makeup.  Each have helped me build a style I love and even pushed my comfort level.  As a result, I have some great pieces, often at great deals, in my closet.  Here are some of my favorite personal shopper finds:

Saint Laurent "Tribute" T Strap Sandal in rose gold metallic ($875 old; find similar here http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/saint-laurent-tribute-t-strap-sandal/3404267?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Tan&resultback=230&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_1_D).  At first glace I wanted to barf.  So. Not. My. Style.  My shopper insisted I try them on.  OMG heaven.  They not only look amazing and make my legs look a mile long, they are some of the most comfortable shoes I own.


I feel absolutely in LOVE with an Alice + Olivia blush blazer, but not with it's $598 price tag.  But my shopper kept an eye out for blush blazers and we found this nearly identical Three Pocket Blazer by Trouvé and at a "must" friendlier price ($98 at http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/trouve-three-pocket-blazer/3655096?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=461&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_2_A).


He keeps me ahead of the curve by introducing me to up-and-coming designers.  Knowing my obsession with Louboutin, Valentino and Jimmy Choo, my shopper introduced me to the "next big thing" in shoes, Pedro Garcia.  Pedro Garcia, Clary charcoal castoro sandal ($480 old; find similar here http://www.farfetch.com/shopping/women/pedro-garcia-clary-sandal-item-10313360.aspx).


So next time you're at your favorite store, be it The Limited, Nordstrom, Henri Bendels, Top Shop or wherever you may shop, make friends with one of the sales people.  The benefits are worth it!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment